Setting activity goals can help keep you motivated and focused on what really matters to you.
Follow this two-step process for successful goal setting:
1. Think about what is most important to you.
Write down what is the important goal you want to aim for:
“I want to…..”
Your goal is unique to you. It takes into account your values, your current abilities and your personal targets. For example:
- “I want to be able to climb the stairs at home by myself”
- “I want to be able to return to work full time”
- “I want to go on holidays with my grandchildren”
2. Now, write your goals using the SMART goal format
Here are some examples of SMART goals:
- “By one month from today, I want to be able to walk to the shops by myself.”
- “I want to walk 2km a day, everyday, by (specific date).”
- “I will go to one aqua aerobics class each week for the next eight weeks.”
Sharing your goals with someone, like a healthcare professional or family member, is another great way to keep focused and help you get to where you want to be. Good luck!